District/State health officials have ordered all schools in the District to close. This order is because of the pandemic COVID-19 situation in our community/area. All schools are immediately closed until further notice and children should stay home.
Schools may be closed for days or even weeks to reduce contact among children and stop the spread of the illness. We know this is a hard time for our community and could cause great disruption. Our hearts go out to those who are ill.
Because COVID-19 is easily spread from person-to-person, it is not safe for large groups of people to gather. During this time, both children and adults should stay away from other people and groups as much as possible. They should not gather in other locations such as shopping malls, movie theaters or community centers.
We know that it may be hard to get a doctor’s appointment, go to a clinic or even be seen in a hospital emergency room. Here are some tips for helping those who are sick:
- Have them drink a lot of liquid (juice, water).
- Keep the sick person as comfortable as possible. Rest is important.
- For fever, sore throat and muscle aches, use ibuprofen (Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol). Do not use aspirin with children or teenagers; it can cause Reye’s syndrome, a life-threatening illness.
- Keep tissues and a trash bag within reach of the sick person.
- Be sure everyone in your home washes their hands frequently and for 20 seconds.
- Keep the people who are sick away from the people who are not sick.
For more information, call your healthcare provider. The state Department of Health website at www.ok.gov/health/ and your local county health department will also have more information as well as the Center for Disease Control at www.cdc.gov.
In addition, Maud School is working on ways to provide breakfast and lunch to ALL children ages 0-12.
We will contact you as soon as we have information about when school will reopen.
For the children: